Friday, May 7, 2021

Twister (1996)

I was terrified to watch this movie when I was younger, as I grew up in the Midwest where tornadoes were a fairly common occurrence, and though thankfully we never got this close to one, I was still so scared of them. This film sets up a series of properly terrifying scenes that hit home for me. There's one moment in particular where a character looks up at a black sky that seems harmless, only for a flash of lightning to suddenly illuminate the tornado RIGHT THERE in front of her. That is something directly out of my nightmares. The film is a wild ride that paces itself very well and delivers on those big scary moments, which is all it really needed to do it accomplish its goals.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Twister > The Major and the Minor
Twister > Kuroneko
Twister < Big Hero 6
Twister < The Talented Mr. Ripley
Twister > The Hateful Eight
Twister < Cats (1998)
Twister < The Red Shoes
Twister < The History of Future Folk
Twister > The Graduate
Twister > Take Shelter
Twister > Seeking a Friend for the End of the World
Twister < Hustlers
Final spot: #723 out of 3360, or 78%. That seems very unexpectedly high but it was a good time!

No comments: