Thursday, September 21, 2017

Star Trek: First Contact (1996)


IMDb plot summary: The Borg travel back in time intent on preventing Earth's first contact with an alien species. Captain Picard and his crew pursue them to ensure that Zefram Cochrane makes his maiden flight reaching warp speed.
Directed by Jonathan Frakes. Starring Patrick Stewart, Jonathan Frakes, Brent Spiner, and LeVar Burton.

I had a good time with this. When it comes to Star Trek I'm more a TOS fan than TNG (I can't even say I've seen all TNG episodes) so I went in with a little less character buy-in than would be ideal, but this was a fun saga. None of the individual storylines wowed me, but all together they combined to make an entertaining movie. It's difficult to write this review without simply using the word "fun" all the time, because a stronger adjective oversells my experience and a weaker adjective doesn't do it justice. It was... simply fun. No more, no less.

3 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Star Trek: First Contact > Snakes on a Plane
Star Trek: First Contact < Zootopia
Star Trek: First Contact < A Matter of Life and Death
Star Trek: First Contact > Quills
Star Trek: First Contact > Let the Right One In
Star Trek: First Contact > Dan in Real Life
Star Trek: First Contact < Flight of the Navigator
Star Trek: First Contact > Finding Dory
Star Trek: First Contact < The Stepford Wives (1975)
Star Trek: First Contact > Hamlet (1990)
Star Trek: First Contact > Logan's Run

Final spot: #1022 out of 2656.

1 comment:

Travis S. McClain said...

I always felt they did a fantastic job making First Contact accessible to audiences who knew little or even nothing about Star Trek or TNG, without resorting to making a generic sci-fi action flick wearing Star Trek's clothes. It's funny. It's spooky. It's exciting. It's even sweet in places. There are plenty of nits to pick, but I feel like the majority of them didn't come to mind until well after the movie was over. Getting me caught up in the movie while I'm watching it to the point I'm not thinking of those quibbles at the time is the hallmark of a well crafted flick.

At the end of the day, I dig First Contact because it's fun.