Thursday, December 15, 2016

Another Earth (2011)


IMDb plot summary: On the night of the discovery of a duplicate Earth in the Solar system, an ambitious young student and an accomplished composer cross paths in a tragic accident.
Directed by Mike Cahill. Starring William Mapother and Brit Marling.

(Mild spoilers ahead.)

The movie this most brought to mind was Melancholia, another vaguely sci-fi movie that was really about dealing with personal demons that had moments of almost unbearable bleakness. I loved Melancholia and loved this slightly less, but that's primarily because I was aching for more Earth 2 information. While the human drama was interesting enough, it, frankly, *wasn't* as compelling a story to me as the weird duplicate Earth perpetually lurking in the background, and I often found myself a little impatient during what was clearly meant to be the meat of the story.

That being said, though, I liked the ending. (Or, rather, the ending before the final shot, which felt so ambiguous as to be meaningless to me.) The mental comparisons to Melancholia and the flow of the story made it seem almost impossible for there to be anything even vaguely resembling a happy ending, and I may have actually breathed a little sigh of relief seeing an actual resolution. I found it very satisfying.

Overall, it's a movie I admired more than I enjoyed, so it's going to land a little low on my chart. I do feel like it's one that I will like more the longer I let it sit with me.

3 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Another Earth > Oblivion
Another Earth < Murder by Death
Another Earth < The Exorcist
Another Earth > No eres tu, soy yo
Another Earth > Ghost World
Another Earth > Ender's Game
Another Earth > The Village
Another Earth > Connie and Carla
Another Earth < Full Metal Jacket
Another Earth < Elf
Another Earth < The Shallows
Another Earth < Adama

Final spot: #965 out of 2547.

No comments: