Thursday, June 23, 2016

Trans-Europ-Express (1966)


IMDb plot summary: A film director, Jean, his producer, Marc, and his assistant, Lucette, board the Trans-Europ-Express in Paris bound for Antwerp. Once in their compartment it occurs to them that the drama of life aboard the train presents possibilities for a film, and they begin to write a script about dope smuggling.
Directed by Alain Robbe-Grillet. Starring Jean-Louis Trintignant, Marie-France Pisier, Christian Barbier, and Raoul Guylad.

(Spoilers ahead, kind of, I guess.)

...What did I just watch? I never really settled into exactly what the point of this movie was. It's a weird experimentalish flick that goes nowhere, and I just don't have a lot of patience for that if there's not SOMETHING gripping me -- there certainly wasn't here. (In the last few minutes of the movie, I turned to Jacob and said, "I have now spent like five minutes watching a naked woman wrapped in chains slowly rotating on a turntable. WHY?" French New Wave, I will never understand you. Ever.

0.5 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Trans-Europ-Express < Harry and the Hendersons
Trans-Europ-Express < Mickey Blue Eyes
Trans-Europ-Express < The Good German
Trans-Europ-Express < 42nd Street
Trans-Europ-Express > The Ultimate Gift... I guess.
Trans-Europ-Express < XXX
Trans-Europ-Express < March of the Penguins
Trans-Europ-Express > At Land
Trans-Europ-Express > The Truth About Charlie
Trans-Europ-Express < Star Wars Episode I - The Phantom Menace

Final spot: #2376 out of 2468.

No comments: