Saturday, October 31, 2015

Three Colors: White (1994)


IMDb plot summary: Second of a trilogy of films dealing with contemporary French society shows a Polish immigrant who wants to get even with his former wife.
Directed by Krzysztof Kieslowski. Starring Zbigniew Zamachowski, Julie Delpy, Janusz Gajos, and Jerzy Stuhr.

Now I've finally seen the entire Three Colors trilogy. This one might be my favorite. I empathized so strongly with our central character, and as his story went on and he changed his life circumstances, I was with him rooting for him all the way. The visuals are subtle but lovely, as with his other two films; the chosen color is all throughout the movie, in the snow and the sky and the clothing choices. I was also extremely struck by the movie's ending, which went in a somewhat unexpected direction but was very fitting for how the rest of it had been playing out. A really solid movie, and I'm glad I got around to seeing it finally.

3.5 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Three Colors: White > The Fortune Cookie
Three Colors: White < Murder by Death
Three Colors: White > Winnie the Pooh
Three Colors: White > Mr. Deeds Goes to Town
Three Colors: White > sex, lies, and videotape
Three Colors: White > An Education
Three Colors: White < Idiocracy
Three Colors: White > Oldboy
Three Colors: White > The Return of Captain Invincible
Three Colors: White < Lethal Weapon
Three Colors: White < They Came Together
Final spot: #619 out of 2384.

No comments: