Friday, October 11, 2013

Picnic (1955)


IMDb plot summary: Emotions are ignited amongst the complacent townsfolk when a handsome drifter arrives in a small Kansas community on the morning of the Labour Day picnic.
Directed by Joshua Logan. Starring William Holden and Kim Novak.

I was in this play in college and didn't know if it would be weird to go back and watch this adaptation after being so close to it for awhile. It was, but not for the reasons I anticipated. It ended up being weird because I had to come to the conclusion that I do not like this play. I hadn't really allowed myself to admit it when I was in it, because I was trying so hard to immerse myself in it, but watching another adaptation years later, I find I dislike all the characters, I'm impatient with the melodrama, and nothing happens that I care about at all. Even quality actors like Rosalind Russell and William Holden don't elevate this story up to something I can enjoy. 1.5 stars.

Flickchart: #1577 out of 1963, below Sweet Revenge and above 27 Dresses.

No comments: