Friday, September 25, 2009

Robin Hood: Men in Tights (1993)

Mel Brooks movies are so hit-or-miss with me. Young Frankenstein is pretty funny, The Producers is hilarious, and Spaceballs is horrible. This one lies somewhere in between. There are a few truly hilarious moments (the staff fight is brilliant) and then some that just made me stare at the TV with a very displeased look on my face. I think parody is funniest in general when it finds the humor already imbedded in the situation. So, in this movie... blind guy vehemently fighting a pole in the castle? Funny. Blind guy reading Braille-raised Playboy? Not funny in this movie, because it doesn't fit into the context and tone of the movie. So there are moments where Brooks gets it just perfect, and others where he really messes it up and just left me rolling my eyes. So... medium rating for a very unevenly funny movie. 3 stars.

No comments: