Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Equus (1977)

I read the play script for this just a day or two before seeing it, and I must say the movie is a bit of a disappointment with that in mind. I'd like to see it on stage some day - somehow the actual live horses took away a lot of the power of the story. The moments where Dysart addresses the audience also don't work at all in film. I was reminded of nothing more than the terrible opening to Plan 9 From Outer Space. Although the dialogue and acting was, of course, FAR better, I kept expecting him to end with, "Can your heart stand the terrifying story of grave robbers from outer space?"

However, the shortcomings aside, this remains a brilliant play. Peter Firth and Richard Burton are both very good actors who pull off this difficult story to tell. This is not going to be a story for everyone - it's a disturbing story about suffering, passion, worship, love, sex, and terror. When I first finished reading the script, I just sat there with the script in my hand for a long time, letting it all soak in. Watching the movie is a step down from that experience, but still a phenomenal script that deserved an attempt at translation to film. 4 stars.

No comments: