Monday, September 11, 2006

What's Eating Gilbert Grape (1993)

What an interesting movie. Johnny Depp is one of my favorite actors, not only because he's brilliant, but also because he usually picks good roles. There aren't very many things he's been in where I thought, "Now that was an utterly average movie." Leonardo DiCaprio is NOT one of my favorite actors - I usually find him bland - but he was absolutely marvelous in this. Entirely convincing in this role.

If I have one complaint with the movie, it would be this: although at the end I could tell this movie had a clear destination, I couldn't get any sense of it in the middle. About forty-five minutes into it, I still wasn't sure which characters or sideplots I was supposed to be paying the most attention to. I was horribly afraid this would be one of those movies where I'd get to the end and have no idea what it was actually about. Now, fortunately for me, they managed to switch that around and give me a very satisfying ending. But they had me worried there for a bit.

Overall a very good movie, though. Sweet without being overly sentimental, funny without being over-the-top. Good stuff, although I'm not sure it'll stand out in my memory it five years from now. 4 stars.

No comments: