Monday, March 13, 2006

The Fantasticks (2000)

Wow. What a weeeeeird movie. I'd never actually seen the play, but when I found the movie at the video store, I decided to rent it to see what it was like. I haven't any idea how close this is to the actual show, but it was definitely an interesting watch. It actually reminded me quite a bit of Into the Woods, with its fairly normal opening act, and then a second act that shakes everything up in a way you were totally not expecting. At the end this got very surreal, and while my mom and sister were mostly just creeped out by it, I LOVED it! Simply fascinating stuff. I want to see the show now. 4 stars.

Musical Theater Person Sighting: That's Joel Grey as Luisa's dad and Joey McIntyre as Matt. Interesting to note that both have appeared in the show Wicked, although not at the same time.

No comments: