Thursday, February 23, 2006

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)

I actually went into this very unsure. The few things I'd heard about this movie made me very wary. I bewared, I bewared, I was a very wary bear. But anyway. Despite loving Tim Burton and loving Johnny Depp, I was worried they'd take my beloved Chocolate Factory story and turn it into something ridiculously modern and stupid, a la Ella Enchanted. It was modernized a bit, but it somehow managed to keep the utterly whimsical feel of the book. Freddie Highmore annoys the heck out of me, but Johnny Depp more than made up for it with his marvelous portrayal. I can't think of any other actor who could have pulled that off as brilliantly as he did. Overall, I really enjoyed this movie - I found it fun, albeit a little loony. And I must say, it's the only movie I have ever seen that was rated PG for "Quirky Situations". 3 stars.

No comments: