Monday, November 10, 2003

Duck Soup (1933)

It's a Marx brothers movie. Is there a whole lot to say about it? These videos are good, just because of their ultimate zaniness, but watching a movie like this over and over takes a lot of the fun out of it. So when my siblings watched this movie about 12 times in a row, I got quite sick of it. The mirror scene, for example, is fantastic, but loses its humor when played multiple times. It's still good, though, I'm just tired of it. Heh. This is sometimes lauded as the best of the Marx Brothers movies... I'd definitely argue for Animal Crackers or A Night at the Opera over this one. 3 stars.

1 comment:

Travis S. McClain said...

I thought the mirror scene was solid and I enjoyed the dialog-based humor, but the slapstick was just tedious. I have a low threshold for physical comedy anyway and I especially hate when instead of a quick gag, it's presented as an entire choreographed sequence (which happens a few times with Harpo).