Sunday, June 9, 2024

Hocus Pocus (1993)

IMDb plot summary: A teenage boy named Max and his little sister move to Salem, where he struggles to fit in before awakening a trio of diabolical witches that were executed in the 17th century.
Directed by Kenny Ortega. Starring Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Kathy Najimy.

Hocus Pocus is a Disney movie from the 90s about a group of kids who accidentally bring three child-eating witches back from the dead, and then they have to work together to send the witches back where they belong. This was something of a childhood staple for most people my age, but I didn't watch it as a kid so never got on the Hocus Pocus nostalgia train. Now that I've actually seen it, it's... fine. Definitely made for kids, so I think I mostly missed my window. It's got some fun moments -- I like the zombie character and the unexpected musical number -- but I wish the witches were a little less cartoony and brought some darker vibes to the story. It might have worked for me when I was younger, I'm not sure. As it is, it's okay for me as an adult but nothing I feel an urge to rewatch any time.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Hocus Pocus > The Invention of Lying
Hocus Pocus < Dark Passage
Hocus Pocus > Kajaki
Hocus Pocus < Batman Returns
Hocus Pocus > The Whistleblower
Hocus Pocus < The Song of Lunch
Hocus Pocus > Moonlight
Hocus Pocus > Educating Rita
Hocus Pocus < Monsters Vs. Aliens
Hocus Pocus < The Absent-Minded Professor
Hocus Pocus > The Theory of Everything
Hocus Pocus < Orgazmo
Final spot: #1294 out of 3903, or 67%.

No comments: