Monday, May 27, 2024

Triangle of Sadness (2022)


IMDb plot summary: A fashion model celebrity couple join an eventful cruise for the super-rich.
Directed by Ruben Östlund. Starring Thobias Thorwid, Harris Dickinson, and Charlbi Dean.

Triangle of Sadness tells the story of a rich influencer couple who go on a cruise together that ends in disaster. We follow them and their conversations with other wealthy people, as well as the yacht staff working to keep them happy. This was a difficult film for me to follow, not in the sense of the plot, but in the sense of what narrative threads I was intended to be following and what I was supposed to be getting out of it. I typically love stories highlighting the contrast between the classes, but this one just seemed too scattered for me to follow where the director and writer wanted to take me. There were several individual pieces I did enjoy, and I found myself pondering the ambiguous ending long after the credits rolled, but the more I sit with the rest of the movie, the less it seems to cohere.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Triangle of Sadness < Sarah, Plain and Tall
Triangle of Sadness > Avengers: Endgame
Triangle of Sadness > The Secret of Nikola Tesla
Triangle of Sadness > Dark City
Triangle of Sadness > After the Wedding
Triangle of Sadness > Sneakerella
Triangle of Sadness > Vampyr
Triangle of Sadness > Charulata
Triangle of Sadness < The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Triangle of Sadness > Sherlock Holmes
Triangle of Sadness < The Blues Brothers
Triangle of Sadness > The Gray Man
Final spot: #1960 out of 3899, or 50%.

No comments: