Saturday, May 25, 2024

Bottoms (2023)

IMDb plot summary: Two unpopular queer high-school students start a fight club to have sex before graduation.
Directed by Emma Seligman. Starring Rachel Sennott, Ayo Edebiri, and Ruby Cruz.

Bottoms is a teen sex comedy about two high school senior girls who (somewhat accidentally) start a fight club in the hopes of getting girlfriends and/or losing their virginity before they graduate. This is hardly ever my preferred genre, but I find that I'm coming around on it in light of the increase in female-led teen sex comedies -- this, Booksmart, Plan B, all really funny and entertaining. Our two leads in this one are especially great -- Ayo Edebiri and Rachel Sennott have pitch-perfect deliveries of virtually every line. I also really enjoy the wacky non-realistic tint to the comedy here. I didn't see that coming until about 15 minutes into the movie when I suddenly realized that was the tone it was settling into and I LOVED it. I had a great time with this basically all the way through and am excited to rewatch it again in the near future so I can find even more individual line deliveries that make me laugh.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Bottoms > The Invention of Lying
Bottoms > Dark Passage
Bottoms < Tucker and Dale vs. Evil
Bottoms > Theater Camp
Bottoms > The Jungle Book (1967)
Bottoms > Pink Floyd The Wall
Bottoms > Moonrise Kingdom
Bottoms < Men
Bottoms > Argo
Bottoms > Glengarry Glen Ross
Bottoms > Grease
Bottoms > A Man for All Seasons
Final spot: #502 out of 3894, or 87%.

No comments: