Sunday, September 5, 2021

Pig (2021)

IMDb plot summary: A truffle hunter who lives alone in the Oregonian wilderness must return to his past in Portland in search of his beloved foraging pig after she is kidnapped.
Directed by Michael Sarnoski. Starring Nicolas Cage, Alex Wolff, Adam Arkin, and Cassandra Violet.

For what looks at first glance like yet another movie in the vein of John Wick or Taken, this movie goes in a very different direction, although I can't reveal most of the plot details without getting spoilery. I will say that it takes on a much less action-centric and more thoughtful drama-centric tone, and one that centers much more around the love of the culinary arts than one man's quest for vengeance. Cage does a great job centering this as well. I thought I knew exactly what this movie was going to be based on the first 15 minutes, and then it subverts it all to go a completely different direction that I found far more engaging and thought-provoking. I don't know that I'll remember this movie forever, but it was refreshing and creative and worth at least one watch.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Pig > Frank
Pig > Woman in the Dunes
Pig < He Loves Me ... He Loves Me Not
Pig < The Muppets
Pig > The Inn of the Sixth Happiness
Pig < The Joy Luck Club
Pig > The Wolf of Wall Street
Pig > Anomalisa
Pig < Sleight
Pig < The Shape of Water
Pig < Judgment at Nuremberg
Pig < Au Revoir Les Enfants
Final spot: #709 out of 3427, or 79%.

No comments: