Thursday, September 23, 2021

Annette (2021)

IMDb plot summary: A stand-up comedian and his opera singer wife have a two-year-old daughter with a surprising gift.
Directed by Leos Carax. Starring Adam Driver, Marion Cotillard, Simon Helberg, and Devyn McDowell.

The only other Leos Carax film I've seen was Holy Mountain, which I hated, but this one just blew me away. I owe a lot of that to the amazing songwriting of the musical group Sparks, who I only learned about a few months ago thanks to the documentary The Sparks Brother. This is one of the least subtle, most operatic films I've seen in a long time, but it's so captivating. Between this and Marriage Story, I'm finding myself really drawn to Adam Driver as an acting singer, not because he has such an out-of-this-world voice, but because he REALLY connects the acting and singing in a way that perfectly accomplishes both. I feel like I don't have nearly enough words to talk about what I loved in this movie -- I just loved it overall so very, very much and have been listening to the soundtrack a ton ever since.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Annette > Hustle & Flow
Annette > Woman in the Dunes
Annette > The Disaster Artist
Annette > The Orphanage
Annette < All the President's Men
Annette < Pan's Labyrinth
Annette > The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Annette < Mirai
Annette > Gaslight
Annette < Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
Annette > The Squid and the Whale
Final spot: #179 out of 3444, or 95%.

No comments: