Friday, June 18, 2021

In the Heights (2021)

IMDb plot summary: A film version of the Broadway musical in which Usnavi, a sympathetic New York bodega owner, saves every penny every day as he imagines and sings about a better life.
Directed by Jon M. Chu. Starring Anthony Ramos, Corey Hawkins, Leslie Grace, and Melissa Barrera.

I was so, so excited for this movie when I first heard it announced, and it met every expectation I had and then some. The story, music, and casting was already set to be great, but the cinematography elevates it to a whole new level, something completely different than you'd get in a stage production, using fantastical angles and effects to visually convey the themes of the songs. This took my breath away in songs like "Pacience y Fe," where an elderly woman muses on her past. In the literal world of the film, she's lying in bed remembering, but the film takes her wandering among stylized versions of the places and people that formed her life. I don't have enough time to rave about all of this film -- just know that it brought smiles to my face and tears to my eyes and I would recommend it in a heartbeat.

How it entered my Flickchart:
In the Heights > Fahrenheit 451
In the Heights > Key Largo
In the Heights > Big Hero 6
In the Heights > Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy
In the Heights > A Monster Calls
In the Heights > Donnie Darko
In the Heights < The Purple Rose of Cairo
In the Heights < Memento
In the Heights > Into the Woods (1991)
In the Heights < Noises Off
Final spot: #22 out of 3384, or 99%. Whoa. But... I think that may be correct. I may just have to rewatch it to confirm.

No comments: