Friday, June 25, 2021

The Crow (1994)

IMDb plot summary: A man brutally murdered comes back to life as an undead avenger of his and his fiancée's murder.
Directed by Alex Proyas. Starring Brandon Lee, Michael Wincott, Rochelle Davis, and Ernie Hudson.

This movie, on its surface, is a familiar story. What sets it apart from other typical horror movies is mostly that it clearly isn't actually intended to be a horror movie. Such empathy is shown toward the main character, the undead avenger, that we're obviously meant to be rooting for him, and it makes for an interesting ride. It brought back such incredibly strong "moody goth teen in the late 90s" vibes for me. I could almost read the fanfiction written by young girls fantasizing in which Eric or other hot guys in dramatic makeup would show up and avenge their bullies. It was like I was back in the days of my greatest Phantom of the Opera obsession. Funny how a movie you've never seen can bring back an entire era of your life! The story itself is more generic revenge action story, but the way it treats its main character to clearly appeal to teenage girls gives it a slightly different twist, which is enjoyable to watch play out. I had way more fun with this than I thought I would -- it was a whole nostalgic ride that I hadn't expected.

How it entered my Flickchart:
The Crow > Fahrenheit 451
The Crow < Dark Passage
The Crow > Fantasia 2000
The Crow > The Artist
The Crow < 13th
The Crow > Inside Llewyn Davis
The Crow < Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
The Crow > Doctor Strange
The Crow > Logan's Run
The Crow < The Lady Vanishes
The Crow < Hell in the Pacific
The Crow > The Magnificent Seven (1960)
Final spot: #984 out of 3390, or 71%.

No comments: