Sunday, September 27, 2026

A Futile and Stupid Gesture (2018)


IMDb plot summary: In the 1970s and '80s, National Lampoon's success and influence creates a new media empire overseen in part by the brilliant and troubled Douglas Kenney.
Directed by David Wain. Stars Frank Gingerich, Morgan Gingerich, and Annette O'Toole.

A Futile and Stupid Gesture is a tongue-in-cheek biopic of Doug Kenney, the founder of MAD magazine and a huge influence in American comedy during his relatively short heyday. There is no denying that the humor of Doug Kenney is absolutely not for me, and as a result there were large portions of this movie that were clearly intended to be comedic but which I found insufferable. The most enjoyable thing was the wide variety of talented comedians brought in to play the various writers and performers of MAD in all its variations. I was especially tickled by Joel McHale playing Chevy Chase, given their history together on the TV show Community. While I won't go into detail (because I think that the movie works really well when you don't know where it's heading) the final few scenes the film really gave me a different appreciation and understanding for the story it was trying to tell. It did also make me more aware of the depth of influence Kenney and MAD had on American comedy as we know it today, since I wasn't very familiar with their work beforehand. So while large portions of this weren't enjoyable for me the way that it was supposed to be, I did find it interesting, and I'm glad I saw it.

How it entered my Flickchart:
🎥 A Futile and Stupid Gesture (2018)
📊 Ranked #2151/4292 on my Flickchart
🎯 Flickscore™: 51

lost to George of the Jungle (#2151 → #2147)
beat Gigi (#3238 → #3239)
beat I'm Not Rappaport (#2687 → #2688)
beat Flubber (held at #2424)
beat Dreamgirls (#2244 → #2307)
beat The Dawn Patrol (#2226 → #2242)
beat John and Mary (#2198 → #2200)
beat Gunpowder Milkshake (#2171 → #2180)
beat Real Life (held at #2161)
beat Little Women (#2156 → #2158)
beat Another Earth (held at #2152)

No comments: