Monday, May 10, 2021

Nobody (2021)

IMDb plot summary: A bystander who intervenes to help a woman being harassed by a group of men becomes the target of a vengeful drug lord.
Directed by Ilya Naishuller. Starring Bob Odenkirk, Aleksey Serbryakov, Connie Nielsen, and Christopher Lloyd.

On one level this is just a typical action thriller. Critics have largely praised Bob Odenkirk's performance here, and I completely agree. He sells both aspects of his character's persona. The action sequences are that sort of high-octane extra-violent creativity most associated with directors like Quentin Tarantino. They're certainly fun to watch, but I found myself missing the movie that had been set up for me at the beginning. I don't think we actually need any more revenge fantasies for middle-class American fathers. I wanted to see the story of Odenkirk's character when he truly was nobody. As it became clear that it was going to become an action movie and was about to lapse into the familiar, I lost most of my interest in the character and his story. Funny how sometimes adding more action makes a story LESS interesting.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Nobody < Something to Sing About
Nobody > The Cheap Detective
Nobody > American Hustle
Nobody > An American in Paris
Nobody < Must Love Dogs
Nobody > The Kids Are All Right
Nobody > Zelig
Nobody > Trainwreck
Nobody > Lost in America
Nobody > Holiday Affair
Nobody > A Bridge Too Far
Nobody < The Muppet Christmas Carol
Final spot: #1788 out of 3362, or 47%.

No comments: