Saturday, May 4, 2019

The Thomas Crown Affair (1968)


IMDb plot summary: A debonair, adventuresome bank executive believes he has pulled off the perfect multi-million dollar heist, only to match wits with a sexy insurance investigator who will do anything to get her man.
Directed by Norman Jewison. Starring Steve McQueen, Faye Dunaway, Paul Burke, and Jack Weston.

This is one of those heist movies that I think is trying to convey a sense of fun and danger throughout, but it falls flat for me here. Maybe it's that I don't find Steve McQueen terribly charismatic, and thus have difficulty buying Faye Dunaway's attraction to him as genuine. The use of split screen to show multiple actions is used to great effect early on in the film and then is repeated later with less clarity. The score also makes some unusual, rather abrupt, choices at times. Overall, it's a movie I didn't dislike but found largely forgettable. I haven't seen the 90s remake, but since it features Pierce Brosnan, another actor whose charisma I find unconvincing, I suspect it wouldn't fare well. However, Wikipedia reports that there's another remake in the works starring Michael B. Jordan, which might be the first one I can get behind. We'll have to see.

How it entered my Flickchart:
The Thomas Crown Affair < Lady Bird
The Thomas Crown Affair > Young Mr. Lincoln
The Thomas Crown Affair < The Pajama Game
The Thomas Crown Affair > Robots
The Thomas Crown Affair > Copying Beethoven
The Thomas Crown Affair > As Good As It Gets
The Thomas Crown Affair > You Only Live Once
The Thomas Crown Affair > BASEketball
The Thomas Crown Affair < My Favorite Wife
The Thomas Crown Affair < Lazer Team
The Thomas Crown Affair > Metropolis (1927)
Final spot: #1861 out of 2963.

No comments: