Saturday, July 5, 2014

Swing Kids (1993)


IMDb plot summary: The story of a close-knit group of young kids in Nazi Germany who listen to banned swing music from the US. Soon dancing and fun leads to more difficult choices as the Nazis begin tightening the grip on Germany. Each member of the group is forced to face some tough choices about right, wrong, and survival.
Directed by Thomas Carter. Starring Robert Sean Leonard, Christian Bale, Frank Whaley, and Barbara Hershey.

(Mild spoilers about the ending.)

This is a nice idea, and I'm never going to complain about dance numbers in the middle of my movies, but this movie is... lacking something. Robert Sean Leonard and Christian Bale are both interesting characters, but somehow I'm not sold on their story. I'm still not sure I can point to exactly what didn't work for me (aside from the ending, which was melodramatic and unbelievable in how it played out). I just know that it's not sticking in my mind at all even just a few days after having seen it.

2.5 stars.

Flickchart: #1142 out of 2161, below The Princess Diaries and above Our Idiot Brother.

No comments: